Wednesday 9 November 2011

Prayer at the Confiteor

O Blessed Trinity!  One God!  Father, Son, and Holy Ghost!  Prostrate in spirit before Thee, I here confess, in the sight of the whole court of heaven and of all Thy faithful, my innumerable treasons against Thy Divine Majesty.  I have sinned, O Lord, I have sinned, I have grieviously offended Thee through the whole course of my life, in thought, word and deed, and therefore I am most unworthy to lift up my eyes to heaven, or so much as to pronounce Thy sacred Name; how much more am I unworthy to appear here in Thy sanctuary - and to assist among Thy angels at these heavenly mysteries which require so much purity - because Jesus Christ Himself is here in Person, both Priest and Victim!  But, O my God, Thy mercies are above all Thy works, and Thou wilt not despise a contrite and humble heart.  Therefore, I venture to come into Thy temple, and with the poor publican (and, as I hope, the same penitential spirit) I strike my breast, and say, O God, be merciful to me a sinner.  (repeat this thrice)  And I humbly hope to find this mercy which I crave, through that Passion and Death which is here celebrated.  O Fountain of mercy, grant this mercy to me, and to all poor sinners.  Amen

(photo of the sanctuary in Saint Patrick`s Basilica, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) 

No comments:

Post a Comment